Friday, October 9, 2009

Thing 2

Thing 2 was going to turn out to be the boy that would be the worse thing that ever happened to me, which can also be defined as the love of my life. All the warnings and signs that you know lead to a doomed relationship, happened with Thing 2. I fell in love with him the moment I laid eyes on him. No joke. It was that jaw dropping, slow motion, from out of nowhere wind blowing through his hair moment that happened to me.

He was walking up the drive-way into the open garage facing the street. He was about 6’1”, thin and lanky, and long brown hair to about his collar. His jeans were stone washed and ripped at the knees. He was about 3 years older than my 18 years, which obviously meant he was wiser and more educated because he went to UCSB. Duh. Aside from his obviously attractive model-like body and walk, his face was perfect. Ok, maybe his nose was a little too wide and big, and it would always be a reminder that he was always going to be undeniably Filipino, to some degree, but he had the face of an angel, and I could have starred at his face forever… at him walking up the drive-way into the open garage, that bright sunny day in June 1999…of my boyfriend’s house. Thing 1 turned out to be my boyfriend’s cousin.

My timing is fucking perfect. I had been dating my boyfriend for 3 months at that point. We were having fun dating and hanging out. It was easy being with him, especially since I had just gotten out of a relationship that was rocky and volatile. Easy and fun was not something I was used to. Even my home life was traumatic. I was finally on the right track with the right guy.

And then… Thing 2 happened.

Shortly after that first meeting, Thing 2 started hanging around more often with us. When I went to college, he came by to visit on his way back up to UCSB sometimes. He would stay sometimes, but we never did anything sexual together, but we were close. We talked all the time and about everything. My boyfriend just liked having him around, and was glad that we got along. He didn’t know that I was secretly in love with Thing 2.

We remained close for about 3 years. Hanging out, talking and being strictly platonic. Which, of course, drove me completely insane. A lot can happen to a girl in 3 years. I started to become more attractive, I guess. I was also starting to like the attention.

I began seeing other boys and eventually knew I needed to break up with my boyfriend. Easy-going and natural with my boyfriend became push over and no backbone quickly.

Soon after my break-up with my boyfriend, and I was done fucking Thing 1 (sort of), Thing 2 came to me and pulled me aside one night. Actually, he pulled me in my walk-in closet while my now ex-boyfriend was waiting in the living room trying to be just friends, and had dropped by with Thing 2 to have dinner… all as friends, of course.

“What’s wrong?” I asked when he closed the door behind us in the closet.

He got down on his knees and he put his arms around my waist and said, “I love you. I’ve been wanting to tell you that for so long. I love you.”

I was speechless. I instinctively put my arms around him and made him look up at me. I couldn’t believe what he was saying. I couldn’t believe it at all.

He stood up then, and kissed me softly, opened the door and walked out. They left my apartment and I was still standing in the closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment